1. Q: I am planning on operating nationwide (48 states). What permits will I need?
    2. A: FMCSA MC Authority with a DOT number. Truck registration requires IRP, Single State Registration (SSRS) and IFTA. Depending upon which states you operate in, there may be individual state permits needed also.
    3. Q: I am just starting my business – what coverage do I need?
    4. A: The following coverage is the most common for trucking and transportation of freight: (check with the company for whom you haul for their requirements)

$1,000,000 CSL – Commercial Auto Liability

$100,000  – Motor Truck Cargo

$15,000-25,000  – Non-Owned Trailer Coverage 

$1,000 deductible – Physical Damage Coverage


Some companies will also require you to carry Commercial General Liability coverage. Consult with your agent who may know the requirements of that company already.

    1. Q: What are the benefits of purchasing insurance with Berrier Insurance?
    2. A: Berrier Insurance has been saving truckers money since 1981 and is a specialist in the truck and transportation insurance industry. We have over 50 years of combined experience. We have the excellent relationships with the major insurers in this industry which means we get you the best prices with the best companies. We proudly maintain strong values of high ethical standards, commitment to caring about the success of our clients and insurers, and honesty. And we’re just more fun than the rest! Please see our testimonial page for what our current customers say about us.
    3. Q: How large is the insurance network in which Berrier Insurance works?
    4. A: Berrier Insurance works with over 25 different insurance companies to find the best possible price and coverage for you, getting the job done right the first time.
    5. Q: What various methods of payment are accepted?
    6. A: We accept payment by personal check, check by fax, Visa or Mastercard. You can also deposit a payment into our bank account directly if that is more convenient. Please call us for more information on this option.
    7. Q: It is possible to obtain insurance with a DUI or a “not so good” driving record?
    8. A: YES. We make every effort to build the proper policy for just about any driver. In some cases, however, the premium can get too high and we will spend the proper consultation time to make sure the economics make sense for you.
    9. Q: Does Berrier Insurance charge a fee for any changes or certificates?
    10. A: Berrier Insurance does not charge for the processing of any policy changes or certificates nor do we believe ANY other broker should charge for that service.
    11. Q: What does the term “unidentified trailer coverage” mean?
    12. A: Any trailer, while attached to your tractor, which is NOT owned, or long term leased, by you.
    13. Q: Am I able to terminate my policy without penalty? Will it affect my credit?
    14. A: Yes you can cancel your policy at any time subject to any notice requirement by the governing authorities. You should check with your agent to make sure there aren’t any cancellation penalties. Some truck insurance policies utilize an outside billing company (premium finance) and an early cancel request in that case will have no cancel penalties. Cancellation will NOT affect your credit. You are, however, expected to pay all premiums that have accrued to your account.
    15. Q: How long will a claim affect my premium?
    16. A: For approximately three years.
    17. Q: If the circumstances arise that I will be traveling outside of my normal operating radius, what should I do?
    18. A: Please give Berrier Insurance a call once you know the destination and how long you will be out of your normal radius and an exception can usually be granted by the insurer.
    19. Q: What is the difference between “pro-rate” and “short-rate” cancellation?
    20. A: Pro-rate means you will only be paying for the days actually insured. Short-rate occurs when the insurance company charges you for the days insured plus a percentage for the early cancellation.
    21. Q: What are some of the problems with the Motor Truck Cargo policy?
    22. A: Motor truck cargo policies are not the same between the different insurance companies. Certain target commodities, like electronics and wearing apparel, may be totally excluded or only partially covered. Other conditions may exist, like leaving the truck loaded and unattended, where the coverage is excluded altogether. It is essential that you discuss these issues with your agent BEFORE you purchase any motor truck cargo policy.
    23. Q: If I were to relocate to another state, would I have to cancel and rewrite?
    24. A: That will depend upon which insurance company you are insured through. Some policies can be transferred but most would have to be rewritten in the new state. Please notify your agent as soon as you can.
    25. Q: What are the requirements to be able to remove a truck from my policy?
    26. A: If you have permits with insurance filings, you generally have to sell or transfer that vehicle out of your name. The reason for this is that the proof of insurance filing made by the insurance company holds them responsible for liability arising from any vehicle that you own or operate. Unfortunately not everyone plays by the rules and some truckers try to save money by only insuring some of their trucks. In some cases a DMV non-op certificate will work to remove a vehicle. Ask your agent for more information.
    27. Q: How soon can I expect my filings to be completed?
    28. A: Generally, permit filings are done by the insurance company the next business day. The Federal (FMCSA) filings are done online and updated immediately while some states can take as long as 3 weeks to process.
    29. Q: Are tow bills covered under my insurance policy?
    30. A: Generally the answer to this question is YES; assuming, of course, they are related to an accident and not a mechanical failure. We do offer a great roadside assistance package for truckers (and cars) that has great towing coverage and is very affordable.
    31. Q: Can I obtain coverage for my personal items inside my truck ?
    32. A: Yes. Many of the insurers have an option to include coverage for these items; some even include it automatically. Ask your agent for more information so you get the coverage that you want.